Manrix's Reviews > Inheritance

Inheritance by Christopher Paolini

M_50x66
Feb 22, 12

Read from February 14 to 22, 2012

It's been a while since I read parts one to three, and since finishing Brisingr, I have read the works of people like Joe Abercrombie, George RR Martin and R Scott Bakker, and to be honest, it's hard to go back to this kind of epic fantasy. I like the dark, the gritty and the deep. The main reason I read this book, was because I wanted to know how the bloody story ended, even if I was sure it would be happy ending. But I'm glad to say it wasn't quite as fairy-tale like as I had feared.

In the beginning, there is a lot of switching around between characters, and I grew to resent it, as neither Roran nor Nasuada interested me that much. With Roran especially, it was becoming annoying how he kept fighting his way through odds stacked against him, without aid, and how he could find that one special solution to every problem posed, even though he's just some farmboy from the Spine. With Nasuada, what annoyed me was that even though Paolini keeps mentioning how much she does and how clever she is, you never really get to see it. This is probably because it would keep readers away from the main attraction (Eragon and Saphira), but now it just feels shallow. For this reason, I did not mind when Nasuada was more or less forgotten for over half the book.

Galbatorix, though his motives for not attacking are still a bit shaky in my opinion, did get more depth, as he desperately needed it. His screentime before the final confrontation was very interesting, and I enjoyed his conversations. There is method to his madness, and though his means are questionable, his end does not sound so terribly bad. That said, the final confrontation itself was a bit disappointing, though, of course, there was no possible way it could have gone differently, considering the enormous difference in power.

I liked the ending of the series. It wasn't all happy-happy-joy-joy as I was afraid it would be. There is a lot of melancholy, and quite a lot of change. Some things in the story were a bit too convenient or predictable, especially with the Dauthdaert and the Rock of Kuthian, and the (somewhat tenuous) peace between the races, but even so, I liked the painful decision he makes at the end, and how his relationship is with Arya at the very end. Their penultimate conversation in the novel, by the river, was kind of touching.

So, yeah. I wanted to know what the end was going to be like, and now I know. I'm not sure if I'll return to his writings when he next publishes it. If his work matures, I will. Otherwise, I'm not sure I can be bothered.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inheritance.

02/14/2012 page 20