Katie Michaels's Reviews > The Darkest Seduction

Feb 14, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: lords-of-the-underworld, arcs
Read from February 14 to 17, 2012 , read count: 1

Let me start out by saying that I am a huge, huge fan of the Lords of the Underworld series. And like everyone else, I have been anxiously awaiting the story that would give poor Paris his HEA. This book gave me all the things I wanted –and even worked in some amazing surprises—but it didn’t quite live up to its potential for me.

The biggest problem is simply that the book is bloated. It's too long and stuffed with too much stuff. I was excited when I first saw how thick it was, but it was actually a hindrance to the storytelling. The first 100 pages or so really dragged. It didn’t feel anything like the snarky, snappy, and sexy series I love. It was a portrait of a miserable Paris and a miserable Sienna, each enduring their own tragedies as they dream of a reunion. This could have been streamlined enormously and still conveyed the same things. It isn’t until Paris finally tracks down his long-lost woman, that the book becomes engaging at all. Maybe around page 150.

Once Paris and Sienna are together, you can start to see the sparks. And in their interactions, the book has some of its best moments. After all, their reunion is what we’ve all hungered for. But Paris has changed so much, he is almost unrecognizable from the character we once knew. I know he’s been through a lot, but I would have liked to see a few more glimpses of the suave Lord of Promiscuity. This guy is supposed to be the end-all, be-all Lothario and he just didn’t deliver. Yeah, the sex is hot, but no more so than with any of the other Lords.

We’re introduced to a slew of new characters, from the annoying Lord of Narcissism to three random Lords stuffed in a castle turret. I could have done without all of them. We also get a healthy dose of Zacharel, which is no doubt designed to set up Showalter’s new Angels of the Dark series. And I’ll admit… I’m intrigued.

There were some things I really did enjoy. Surprisingly, I liked the Galen and Legion sidestory and I find myself really rooting for these two to make a go of it. We got the set-up on Kane’s story with the female Horseman. And we got a few new teasers on the enigma that is William the Dark. Oooh—and Ashlyn finally has those babies. Hallelujah!! That woman has been pregnant for like, 10 years. All of that was great –as were the fantastic developments on the Cronus/ Rhea front… and a shocking tidbit about Strider’s history.

Yet, the book didn’t quite satisfy. Maybe it’s because it took too long to get to the good stuff. Maybe it’s because Paris isn’t Paris anymore. I don't know. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't everything I hoped it would be. 3 1/2 stars.

*ARC Provided by Harlequin

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Seduction.

02/15 page 95
19.0% "The Lord of Indifference is called Pukinn? Really? Like Barfin or Yakin?"
02/16 page 160
31.0% "Very slow start, but it's getting better now."
02/16 page 164
32.0% "Oooh! Interesting revelation about Galen."
02/17 page 396
77.0% "Holy shit!! That woke me up!! Strider, you sly minx..."
05/10 marked as: read

Lady Allison Jealous! ;)

Katie Michaels It's so thick!! 500+ pages.

Lady Allison That makes me happy, hopefully it means it's well plotted & not rushed (*cough*lothaire*cough*) after all the buildup!

message 5: by ~Mel :)~ (new) - added it

~Mel :)~ I third the JEALOUS!!!

Becky Soooooo jealous! This is my most anticipated book in the past 6 months :(

message 7: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren How much the page length? So I can edit the pages of GR data

Katie Michaels 512

Tyra omg you're reading paris's story. Exciting!

message 10: by ~Mel :)~ (new) - added it

~Mel :)~ I'm excited to read your review.

Becky Issues? Oh no :(

Hbeebti Maybe in the later books we get to see some of Paris the way he was before, now that he has his women.

Even though this is the second review about some were kinda disappointed I still cant wait. But Torin is the one I have been dying to read about.

Katie Michaels Me too!! Torin is my favorite Lord. Poor guy really needs to lose his virginity.

Hbeebti Have you heard anything about his book yet? I think I heard somewhere that his book is going to next to last or something. Man I hope not.

message 15: by ~Mel :)~ (new) - added it

~Mel :)~ *Sigh* This is not happy news for me :( I have SO been looking forward to Paris's book. I'll still read it (of course) Maybe the next one will be better. I too am looking forward to Torin's book. I really hope that Mrs. Showalter doesn't continue to disappoint with this series

Katie Michaels Hbeebti wrote: "Have you heard anything about his book yet? "

Nothing. :( But I won't give up hope.

Riverina Romantics Nooooo. Only 3.5!! I've been looking forward to Paris too. Great review though. You explained it well.

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ Oh, what is with my Strider???

message 19: by Buggy (new) - added it

Buggy I'd also really been really looking forward to Paris's book way more then some of the others we got instead (personally I think she should have given us his book way before now because the hype for him got built way up and he got too sad. Shame.
Thanks Jen

Renee I'm glad I'm not alone. You've summed up pretty much exactly how I'm feeling about this book. I want the old Paris back!

message 21: by Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ (last edited Mar 03, 2012 06:25AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ I want the old Strider back! He was not himself in his book. It was the worst so far.

Renee I've still got about 60 pages left to read because I keep putting the book down (which I NEVER do), but pretty much all of them seem out of character to me. I know William is vain, but even he seems moreso than usual. I was so excited about this book being over 500 pages, but I feel like 350 or so would have been much better!

message 23: by Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ (last edited Mar 03, 2012 07:01AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ It's so weird... I had the feeling of the series going downhill (maybe this sounds too harsh) or 'changing' in Strider's book. I didn't like that development. I'm really curious how I'll feel when reading Paris's story.