Elisa (Just a Hunch Book Blog)'s Reviews > Paper Towns

Paper Towns by John Green

This was my first foray into the world of John Green, and while I definitely enjoyed it, I'm not quite ready to declare myself a member of his fan girl tribe.

The story centers around Quentin Jacobsen, who is a likable enough protagonist-- nerdy, not too damaged, not obsessed with being popular, but completely and hopelessly infatuated with his next door neighbor, Margo Roth Spiegelman. Here's where the story loses me a bit. Can I be blunt? Margo is a BITCH. Like, I said, Quentin was fairly likable, but the fact that he liked so much Margo honestly lost him some credibility in my opinion. Margo takes the typical self centered nature of a teen girl to a whole new level. Selfish, immature, manipulative...I truly could find no redeeming quality in the girl.

So that the plot is driven by Quentin's desperate search for this horrid girl leaves it somewhat lacking for me. I liked the rest of the characters, for the most part, as well as the writing style (except there were some odd tense shifts that I couldn't follow). Green was definitely successful in capturing the teenage spirit-- the longing, the angst, the discovery...there were some very moving moments in Paper Towns.

I'd be curious to give Green another go, though I have heard his novels all follow a similar format. I think I'd be okay with that, as long as i don't have to deal with Margo again.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paper Towns.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Julia Goolia Read Looking For Alaska it's good!