Ashley's Reviews > What I Was

What I Was by Meg Rosoff

Jun 09, 09

bookshelves: fiction, audiobooks
Recommended for: not anyone, really

** spoiler alert ** This book was a misfire, but I'm not really sure which parts to point to. The premise of the book -- lonely English schoolboy assuages his loneliness with other lonely and mysterious boy who lives in a hut by the sea -- was sufficiently intriguing to make me pick up the book, but thirty pages in, I wasn't sure what the point was. The narrator (we don't learn that his name is Hilary until the last chapter) is obsessed with Finn, to the point of stupidity. I also find him hypocritical, selfish, and insensitive. All of that would be okay if the ending of the book made any sense at all. The entire book is laced with homosexual undertones as Hilary's obsession for Finn borders on fanatically admirational, and then "the twist" (which I saw coming) lent nothing to the plot. Finn is actually a girl, but why he/she insisted on this ruse, I have no idea, and what it was supposed to add to the plot, I also have no idea. I just generally felt lost and confused by the end, and extremely resentful of the stupid narrator. Rosoff created what might have been a genuinely interesting character in Finn, but he/she was so silent and mysterious all the time that you never get to know him/her, and while I was intrigued by the descriptions of life at an English boarding school, plot there was thin as well.

Overall, very disappointing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Was.