Pink's Reviews > Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board

Soul Surfer by Bethany Hamilton

Feb 14, 12

Recommended for: Everyone
Read on April 07, 2011, read count: 1

Read it.

Terrifying, gripping, inspirational, motivating, and faith building. Written by Bethany Hamilton, a 14 year old, none-the-less, who lost her arm to a shark attack while surfing and now continues on as a competitive surfer. My favorite part of the book, besides her determined faith in God, might be her updated end chapter detailing her journey through creating the movie with her family.

This is the updated version of her book with actor Anna SophiaRobb, Bethany Hamilton's first choice of actor, and of Bridge to Terabithia and Because of Winn-Dixie fame, who also grew up with and has faith in God as well.

I definitely recommend reading the book first before you watch the movie. The book gives you the background and understanding of what her family and her truly went through, their basis in faith (the movie is spiced up a little, as movies are), and the relationship they built with the actors during the filming of the movie, making it all much closer to heart. The movie, as stated by the director, Sean McNamara, focuses more on the struggle in order for the audience to connect with her, which is an emotional and heart-wrenching aspect I'm looking forward to understanding. Most of all, I look forward to continuing to be inspired by her faith and that of her families -- observing that kind of faith and connection in a family makes me realize the importance of investing every emotional energy into that faith.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soul Surfer.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nataly (new)

Nataly Hi!if you read this book on your computer, could you please send it to me?, i really want to read it :)