Ashley's Reviews > Emma

Emma by Jane Austen

Apr 18, 10

bookshelves: classics, 1700s-1800s, anglophilia
Read in April, 2010, read count: 2

Second time through I've decided to add a star.

The thing about this book is that you have to sit through the first two parts to get to the third part where it's all worth it. And that's a lot to ask, considering that there is only one likable character in the whole thing (Mr. Knightley, of course). Even Jane Austen knew that Emma would be hard to deal with. But the third volume brings everything together so nicely as to almost erase the impression that the first two volumes leave behind.

I definitely don't see how anyone could call this novel Austen's masterpiece, though, when Pride and Prejudice is clearly sitting over in the other corner being superior in every way.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emma.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jamie Pride and Prejudice is the definitely the superior novel in all ways but one: I’ve just always somehow loved Emma more. In fact, Emma and Mansfield Park are my two favorite Austen novels— to the agreement of practically no one.

Ashley I haven't read Mansfield Park yet, but I own it, and better yet, I'm taking an Austen seminar next semester. The plot sounds interesting to me, way more interesting than Emma, in fact, which I honestly hated the first time through, even while I could acknowledge that it was beautifully written.