Joy's Reviews > The Invisible Bridge

The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer

Feb 14, 12

It is always somewhat jarring to not like a book that so many seem to have loved. This is one of those situations. I noticed it was a New York Times Notable Book of 2011, and many goodreads readers seem to have found it very special. The paperback clocks in at 758 pages, which was quite a long slog for me, considering how little I cared for the writing or the characterizations. I have read so many other powerful works on WW II and the holocaust, but I'm sure there is room for another story, if it's moving and strong. I found the writing, although serviceable, to be tedious, stilted and strained. There is too much mundane detail of their everday lives that seemed to me to reach anticlimactic points along the way. These details of the main character's, Andras and Karla's,love affair, help stretch this book to it's unnecessary length. The only thing that differentiated this tale from others I have read was the Hungarian background of the characters. Some of the scenes set in the work labor camps were slightly stirring, but still rather tepid. Even attempts at levity (when Andras and his fellow worker attempt underground neswspapers parodying the work camps) failed to amuse.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Bridge.