Robert Kristoffersen's Reviews > Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 1

Avatar by Gene Luen Yang

Feb 14, 12

Read in February, 2012

It's been four years since we've last seen anything new from Avatar: The Last Airbender. Fans has been begging for more, and released earlier this month, they got it. This graphic novel, from Dark Horse Comics, picks up where the show left off. The next stage, after the war is ended, is to restore harmony, with the Harmony Restoration Movement, which seeks to remove fire nation colonies on earth nation land. All concede to the plan, and suddenly we're moved forward a year later, The Restoration Movement is underway, and assassination attempts are being made on Fire Lord Zuko's life. After getting to the bottom of it, The Movement is stopped, and the Avatar wants answers. The conflict is well thought out, and it ends not with a huge cliff-hanger, but an intellectual one. It's only downfall is, at times, the dialogue. It doesn't fully match with what the characters would say on the show. In particular, if Aang calls Katara sweetie one more time, I may scream. And Toph needs to lay off the phrase "lily livers." All in all, a great continuation of the greatest animated series to exist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Avatar.