Sarah's Reviews > Mrs. Dalloway

Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

Dec 04, 14

bookshelves: prose-poetry, favorites, essential-reading
Read on April 06, 2010

It was interesting to read this directly after reading Jacob's Room. She covers much of the same territory, only here it's all come vibrantly into focus. I feel as though I witnessed an epiphany in real time!

One bit of advice: Every time a new character is introduced, underline the name or write it down somewhere with a brief note about who that person is. You'll thank me later. In the first 50 pages, she introduces 38 characters! (And that's not counting pets and public figures).

I remember now why I was so taken with this book the first time I read it. It's alive. (Alive!) It blossoms, ripens, thrives ever-forward, and never ceases to offer new wisdom.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mrs. Dalloway.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kelly Just seeing this, and I will happily take said blame! :) Looks like you're enjoying the read?

Sarah Yes, you inspired me to reread this, and I might upgrade to five stars when I'm done!

Kelly Awesome! Hope you get a five star experience out of it this time- it definitely seems to be a book that I'll get more and more out of with each re-read. Are you finding that?

Sarah Oh, yes!

message 5: by Kelly (last edited Apr 13, 2010 11:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kelly It blossoms, ripens, and never ceases to offer new wisdom.

I totally agree- it really depends entirely on what mood you're in, what's happened to you that day, what part of your past is floating closest to the surface of your brain. We can't all identify with everything in the world, but VW comes closest to showing us the most of what we're connected to the most of the time, I think.

So, are you going to join us in the Lighthouse read in May? :)

message 6: by Sarah (last edited Apr 13, 2010 11:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah *hee hee* Once again, I've changed a review after you quoted it!

I want to start Lighthouse right away --I'm going in order-- but I'm a pretty slow reader, so I might just participate, after all. =b

Kelly oops! I'll give you some breathing room next time. :)

Great that you may participate, though! Some of us may start early, so we should overlap to some extent...

message 8: by Fahd (new)