Robin's Reviews > The Queen's Secret

The Queen's Secret by Victoria Lamb

Mar 15, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, royalty, first-reads-giveaway, 16th-century, england
Read from March 06 to 15, 2012

I was interested in reading this and entered the Goodreads Giveaway for it because I had previously read two other books on Elizabeth’s life, one of her early life before she became queen (The Queen’s Governess) and the other of her much later life (Elizabeth I by Margaret George). This one is set during the rivalry between her and her cousin Lettice, who steals the love of her life, Robert Dudley, away from her. So I thought it would nest neatly in between the other two books I’ve read on her.

I was a little concerned that because one of the main characters (Lucy) is mostly fictional, the book would focus on her rather than Elizabeth. But it is written entirely in third person and Elizabeth’s point of view is as strong featured as Lucy’s. In fact, the book’s main focus seemed to be the love triangle between Elizabeth, Dudley, and Lettice while Lucy’s story is more like a side story.

The quality of writing is good and most of the historical characters are well fleshed out. Lucy is actually a little dull, as is her love interest, and I didn’t see the point in William Shakespeare as a child making an appearance, he was completely unnecessary and it felt like the author was just throwing him in for the sake of featuring another famous person.

I felt the plot took a little too long to get going, considering the involvement of spies and murder plots but like Lucy’s story, it also seemed to take a back seat to the love triangle story. However, it was these subplots which kept the book feeling multi dimensional and interesting through to the end.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen's Secret.

03/10/2012 page 122