Angelique Jurd's Reviews > Born Wicked

Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

Feb 27, 2012

Read in February, 2012 — I own a copy

Wow – Penguin is on a roll with its YA authors at the moment. There are some really talented people out there: Ally Condie and Marissa Meyer are the first to spring to mind and Jessica Spotswood is no exception.

Born Wicked is the first installment in the Cahill Witch Chronicles and turns the spotlight on the eldest of the three girls: Cate. Three years earlier Cate promised their mother, before her death, she would protect her sisters and keep their secret safe. Nobody must know they are witches but it is getting harder to hide the truth as the three girls approach adulthood and Cate herself has only a few months to choose between marriage and joining the Sisterhood.

To make things worse, Cate discovers there is more than one secret in the family and that even true love, based on honesty and respect, is not necessarily the answer to the challenges she is faced with.

Spotswood writes with passion and honesty at a fast pace that at times left me breathless. The characters are both infuriating and charming - an accurate summation of most teenage girls I’ve met (not to mention live with) – making them credible and easy to follow. The plot has sufficient twists to keep a reader transfixed without getting dizzy and enough rewards to keep you turning the pages.

Part fantasy, part supernatural, entirely intriguing, Born Wicked is the perfect book to curl up with on a Sunday afternoon, a pot of tea at your elbow and a plate of toast in front of you. Although I have to admit I forgot about my toast… I was too busy turning pages.

I think Ms Spotswood is going to be a force to be reckoned with in the paranormal, YA scene – and quite rightly so.

This review first appeared on my review site www.justheardjustreadjustseen.com
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born Wicked.