Peter Dunn's Reviews > The Complete Stories of Sherlock Holmes

The Complete Stories of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Feb 14, 12

Read in February, 2012 — I own a copy

So I now have finished reading every novel and short story in this really very nicely produced edition of The Complete Stories of Sherlock Holmes with all the original illustrations from the Strand magazine and I have three basic observations to make:

One of the two things that make the Holmes stories memorable is Conan Doyle’s ability to conceive, and lay out, some highly imaginative situations for Holmes to solve – though this is spoiled at times by Doyle clearly getting bored and rushing some the endings, and worse still reusing the same plot device or same ending in later stories.

The second thing that sets the stories apart is the unique character of Holmes. This bizarre and flawed genius figure sets the scene for dozens of future TV and literary smart detectives (and doctors...) who have one or more personality flaws. Watson might also be the archetype detective buddy - a bit thicker than the main man but a source of inspiration for title character when you least expect it, such as Morse’s Lewis.

.....and lastly I always thought that Jeremy Brett was the probably the definitive TV or movie Holmes of all time – and now that I have read all the original stories I am absolutely convinced that is indeed the case.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Stories of Sherlock Holmes.