Joanna Johnson's Reviews > To Die For: A Novel of Anne Boleyn

To Die For by Sandra Byrd

Feb 14, 12

Having personally read many historical fiction and non-fiction I can normally tell if I will enjoy a book within a few pages, this book however differed in that it started so promisingly. Perhaps if I had know beforehand that the writer was a christain writer I would have known better what to expect and whilst I have read numerous books where the characters have discovered themselves through renewed faith for the most part the author used it as a way of focusing the reader on the plot and character. However, this book seemed to use the plot and characters as a thinnly veiled moral tale of the importance of faith, dedication and crutially following your calling over your personal happiness. Whilst I found the angle Byrd took to the famous Anne story I felt it a lost its power because it was clear the author was writing from a religious perspective and let this become a dominating aspect of the latter part of the book.
My other issue of the book was the repitition of words like mayhap and certes. Rather than creating the atmosphere of the time it felt grating, like the author had looked up a couple of 'historical' words and decided to use them to death.
It is sad that a novel showing such huge promise and came from such an interesting perspective failed to thrill me on these two counts.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Die For.

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda Handy A very well put review of a book that was too heavily biased by the authors religion. I too found the repeated used of a very limited number of historical words became very irritating. A balanced review , would feel confident in whether or not to read a book ( historical) based on a review by this reader.