Jerod's Reviews > Burmese Days

M 50x66
Feb 14, 12

Read in February, 2012

Favorite quotes:

"Beauty is meaningless until it is shared."

"[Y]ou cannot stop your brain developing, and it is one of the tragedies of the half-educated that they develop late, when they are already committed to some wrong way of life . . . ."

"Everyone is free in England; we sell our souls in public and buy them back in private, among our friends."

"[I]t is a corrupting thing to live one's real life in secret. One should live with the stream of life, not against it. It would be better to be the thickest-skulled pukka sahib who ever hiccuped over 'Forty years on', than to live silent, alone, consoling oneself in secret, sterile worlds."

"It is not the less bitter because it is perhaps one's own fault, to see oneself drifting, rotting, in dishonour and horrible futility, and all the while knowing that somewhere within one there is the possibility of a decent human being."

"When one does get any credit in this life, it is usually for something that one has not done."

"Painting is the only art that can be practiced without talent or hard work."

"[M]ost people can be at ease in a foreign country only when they are disparaging the inhabitants."
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burmese Days.