Laura's Reviews > Murder on Marble Row

Murder on Marble Row by Victoria Thompson

Feb 15, 12

Read from February 12 to 15, 2012

I really do love this series as well as this genre. As to why I enjoy these so much, there are probably several reasons. The first would be the two central characters in each of these stories. The author has created two people who are worlds apart from one another in terms of their upbringing, but who are attracted to one another and are on equal ground in terms of intelligence, wit, and their views of justice.

The author also has the ability to weave an interesting mystery in each novel she produces. In this case, it wasn't until I reached the last few pages in this one, before I finally could see how the mystery death was going to be solved. During the course of this reading I had no end of suspects to ponder as the story unfolded. Nice job Ms. Thompson!

My long standing interest in history, particularly American history, makes the setting of New York City in the days of Teddy Roosevelt's rise to the "highest office" in the land very attractive to me. In fact, in this one TR requests Detective Sergent Malloy's assistance in solving the violent death of a family friend.

The "family friend" comes from the upper crust of New York society and as a result Malloy finds himself having to consult Sarah Brandt about the people and the life style that Sarah grew up with. Sarah and Frank make an excellent crime solving duo.

One of my other favorite characters in these stories is Sarah's mother. She is a spunky lady and uses her feminine wiles to influence her daughter and her powerful husband in ways they seemingly don't recognize because she is so wisely subtle in exercising that influence.

Started this on Sunday and finished it on Wednesday. Fun read!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder on Marble Row.