Rekha's Reviews > Looks

205321
Aug 06, 08

bookshelves: lonely-people, teenfiction
Read in August, 2008

Meghan and Aimee are both invisible in their own ways. Meghan's obesity renders her a non-person to everyone at school and Aimee's eating disorder make her almost literally disappear into herself. They find each other and partner up to seek revenge against two popular kids who have hurt them both in different ways.

The best thing about the book was the poetic language. I paid close attention to all the imagery and the way the book is written elevates the story and made me forget about things that usually make me a little cranky (like one-dimensional evil popular kids). There were passages where I didn't even feel like I was reading prose. The first half of the book, especially, had an understated creepiness that I loved.

I would recommend this to teens who are fans of Speak, perhaps. Or fans of Poison Ivy by Amy Koss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looks.

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Yeah wasn't her writing great? I would love to read something else -- get cracking, Madeline!

Marty I loved this and am really glad I read it - thanks for the recommendation!