James's Reviews > Getting Into Character: The Art of First-Person Narrative Preaching

Getting Into Character by Stephen Chapin Garner

Mar 26, 15

bookshelves: preaching, re-read
Read in March, 2015

I don't plan to do a sermon exactly how Garner describes here, but there are some helpful and interesting tips, and some creative ways of engaging the homiletic form.

(original review from February 13, 2012)

Here is an example of my appreciation of a book increasing on a second read. I am doing one of my rare forays into first-person narrative preaching this Sunday and I thought I would look back at Garner and see what is helpful here and found quite a bit of good advice on how to choose a character and deliver a sermon in a winsome manner. The results may not be stellar but I don't blame him.

My first read through was a few years ago (the last time I did a sermon like this). I think I took what I could but thought a regular diet of these types of sermons seemed a bit gimmicky. I still think that and Garner agrees. This is a change-up pitch sort of sermon. A curve-ball.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting Into Character.