Guilty Pleasures's Reviews > Fever

Read in February, 2012

This review posted at
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Recommended Read

I am not going to lie...the scorching HOT cover of this book caught my attention and let me tell you, this is one time you CAN judge a book by it's cover. FEVER is an emotionally charged, action packed, romantic suspense debut novel with a great plot and amazing character development.

FEVER takes hold of you in the first couple of sentences and will not let you go. Dr. Alyssa Foster is already having a bad day at work, when two prison patients take her hostage. One of the prisoners, Taz. is a down right, 100% dirt bag, I hated him so much I almost chunked the book. Three things kept me from chunking the book in spite of Taz's horrible racial slurs and downright nasty personality. ONE...Teague, the other prisoner, from the get go I could tell there was something deep inside him that I was going to love, he is an ALPA with a tortured soul, a former paramedic, wrongfully in prison for crimes he did not commit and has a gift that he does not know how to use, nor does he know exactly what caused his gift. TWO....Alyssa Foster, she is one hell of a heroine, she is like a tenacious chihuahua with a pit bull bite, no matter how bad things got she never lost her spirit. THREE.....The instant chemistry between Alyssa and Teague, yes even though he was in pain and in the ER, you could feel the bond almost instantaneously form between them. Yes, Taz was a bigoted, jerk, but I am glad I didn't chunk the book. His ways were important in building the rest of the story *****possible spoiler - it all works out good, cause he gets what's coming to him*****

I fell in love with Teague, there were so many moments when even though he was being a bad guy, you could see the sexy, caring man he really is shine through. He's found himself in deep trouble that involves the Department of Defense, FBI, his brother in law, two close friends and a mysterious gift that he can't control. Alyssa was the perfect person for him to kidnap, it was like a force brought them together so she could help him out of this major clusterfu** his life has become.

FEVER is more than just a romance, there are sleazy government officials, mysterious accidents, high octane action, gut wrenching emotional strife, just the right amount of humor, smokin hot lovin' and a touch of paranormal. While the love scenes are not every other page, they are well written, stimulating and perfectly paced with the story. I didn't feel the paranormal aspect of the story had much impact in FEVER, however, I do feel it is going to pick up speed and we will learn more as the series progresses. This is not a bad thing, because I think the "gifts" are too new and Teague has not had the time or resources to figure out what is going on and how to control it.

Then there are the sexy secondary characters, Mitch and Luke, I am intrigued and in lust with them. Color me happy to find out that Luke's book, BLAZE will be coming out October 2012.

Joan Swan is an incredibly talented new voice in Romantic Suspense and I can't wait to read everything else she has in store for us!
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fever.