Shh I'm reading!'s Reviews > Another Bullshit Night in Suck City

Another Bullshit Night in Suck City by Nick Flynn

Feb 16, 12

Read from February 13 to 16, 2012

It was obvious from the first words that the author writes that he is a poet. There is a certain rhythm, fluidity in how he describes his life, his father's life and their relationship. It works well, except for instances when it doesn't. For instance the Santa Lear chapter is written play style and was challenging for me to follow, especially as someone not well-versed in the Shakespearean play.

The author poses the riddle which summed up the entire question of the book for "Brothers and sisters I have none, But that man's father is my father's son." What is it like to look at someone and see yourself? There are other questions about homelessness and substance use and mental health- painful, uncomfortable questions. The author doesn't presume to have answers, which may have been why I enjoyed it.

Favorite quote: "Even a life raft is only supposed to get you from the skinking ship back to land, you were never intended to live in the life raft, to drift years on end, in sight of land but never close enough."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Another Bullshit Night in Suck City.

02/16/2012