Maya Rock's Reviews > The Road

Jul 19, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: tearscametomyeyes
Read in July, 2008

** spoiler alert ** This definitely had a mesmerizing quality to it. I approached The Road with more than a little trepidation given my other Cormac McCarthy experiences. I liked it, but I'm not sure it almost felt too cinematic to me--I like post apocalypse movies a lot. This is a creepy book and one that seemed worthy of discussion. Was anyone else trying to memorize the father's moves for their own post apocalyptic journey? I really got that I needed to pay attention to the manmade structures which all need to be stripped. And how do you gain entrance to a commune?

I liked the end a lot as I felt it called into question the necessity of the whole journey and whether they were really in hell or a hell the father and to some extent the mother had created. When the father died I felt intense fear for the boy, but it had been clear for so long he was going to die because of the cough, and I was pissed off that he hadn't prepared the boy any better. And then he threw out some comment about not being able to see his son die. WTF? He had to die so his son could find something to live for. I guess what I'm trying to say is while I understood the father loved the son very much, he (the father) also seemed to be using the son as a way to cling to the past, and I found the father's reluctance to interact with anyone ultimately came off as a very destructive thing. Everyone who they met who was alone was on death's door; and there were plenty of groups and I felt several opportunities for the father to try to link up with "good guys." Anyway, interesting stuff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road.