Jess (Gone with the Words)'s Reviews > The Haunting of Maddy Clare

The Haunting of Maddy Clare by Simone St. James

Mar 05, 12

bookshelves: adult, read-2012
Read from February 21 to March 02, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Read this review on my blog! --> The Haunting of Maddy Clare by Simone St. James

I have not been so scared by a ghost story in a very long time. This book is true thriller, with a mystery that will have you tearing through the pages seeking the truth. The way Simone St. James writes the scenes where Maddy makes contact with Sarah are truly chilling. They’re chilling because it’s how you imagine a ghost would reach out if it were to happen in real life. It felt so real in my mind. My imagination ran wild with it, causing me to have very strange dreams at night. Then I’d spend all day thinking about it.

As to the crimes committed against Maddy, the revelations only got more disturbing as the book went on. She was completely destroyed. I can’t say that I wouldn’t come back after death for revenge had that happened to me.

And that romance! Oh, the dark, broken Matthew Ryder. I think I’m in love! He was ravishing. It’s no wonder Sarah Piper found him the most beautiful thing she’d ever seen, even after first meeting the very handsome Alistair Gellis. The electricity between Sarah and Matthew was palpable.

The era this story is set in, while beautiful, was definitely heartbreaking. Post World War I, Alistair and Matthew are still recovering from their time there in different ways. Their friendship was truly admirable. I love seeing that kind of bond in men.

I was haunted, thoroughly haunted by The Haunting of Maddy Clare. Not only by the ghost of Maddy and what was done to her, but also by Simone St. James’ unforgettable writing. Simone’s writing is overall beautiful and engaging. I found myself completely enthralled by this story and characters. I don’t believe I’ll be forgetting this book soon, if ever.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Haunting of Maddy Clare.

02/26/2012 page 23
03/01/2012 page 191
60.0% "This book is SO GOOD!! Will give me nightmares though..."
03/02/2012 page 318
100.0% "It was FANTASTIC!"