Kaylea's Reviews > Alienation

Alienation by Jon S. Lewis

Feb 13, 12

bookshelves: see-blog-for-more-info
Read in February, 2012

For Colt McAlister, life changed dramatically when his parents were killed in a car accident - which wasn't quite the accident people initially thought.

Through a series of events, Colt learns of a world that he never imagined - filled with jet packs, flying motorcycles and a grandfather who was the "Flying Phantom" during World War II.

Colt wants to be normal, but normal is no longer an option.

Instead he finds himself in the midst of a epic battle to save his life - and attend school at a top secret training center for C.H.A.O.S. - the Central Headquarters Against the Occult and Supernatural.

Ultimately, Colt has to decide who he can trust - and what friendship truly means.

What I Thought
I thought this book was well written and filled with intrigue and suspense. You can tell how writing for D.C. Comics has played a role in the development of Jon Lewis' writing style, because his words seem to come alive due to his vivid descriptions and wording.

This novel - and ultimately the series - plays on Lewis' writing strengths as he creates an alternative universe, where aliens and humans can come into contact, and people can ride around on flying motorcycles and use jet packs to fly.

It was interesting and fun to watch Lewis unfold Colt's character, as he not only learns to be with- and understand - his grandfather. He is also left maintaining his new and sometimes fledgling friendship with Oz and Danielle.

Because it's the second book in the series, readers may find it easier to "track" what is happening if they read the first book - Invasion. I know I found myself understanding Alienation more, once I went back and explored the first novel.

In Alienation, Lewis uses an allegory to structure his manuscript - drawing inspiration from the story of David, Jonathan and Saul. The parallels between Jonathan and David, and Oz and Colt are striking. This allegory added an interesting rhythm and strength to the story line - and truly served as the backbone of the novel.

Ultimately, this novel is written for young readers - but like most well written young adult fiction, this novel (and series) will appeal to readers of all ages.

However, unlike many young adult novels in today's marketplace, this book (and series) is not dark and depressing. It does deal with some strong themes, but somehow Lewis keeps it from being too harsh.

On the scale of one to five, with five being the highest, I give it a four. From reading the ending, I'm guessing there's at least one more book - because Lewis closed with a cliffhanger. I'm really hoping my 11-year-old nephew will dig into this series - so I have an excuse to check out the next book in the series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alienation.