Jonathan's Reviews > The Invention of Hugo Cabret

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Nov 04, 12

bookshelves: children-s-literature, graphic-novels, books-with-films
Read on April 06, 2012

I'm including this in graphic novels because that is probably the best description for this rather unique book. After all it's a novel consisting of many beautiful graphics and some written pages.

While The Invention of Hugo Cabret is aimed mainly at a younger audience of children it appears to be the kind of perfect novel for parents as well. I can imagine a modern parent trying to interest their child in reading by sitting down and reading this work with their child. It is in many ways a modern fairy tale story and therefore I imagine a great novel for a younger audience.

Even reading it now as an eighteen year old; while no longer the little trusting child who loved fairytales I still enjoyed the way Selznick constructed this volume. It was in my eyes a carefully put together piece of art. And even if I found it a little simple for my taste I still award it four stars because I appreciate the beauty of this book and moreover the fact that Selznick is creating artwork that children can enjoy. I know that if I had had this book as a seven year old I would have adored it.

On the whole my verdict is that Selznick has created an informative and artistic novel that allows children access to a visually inspiring idea. Perhaps it's not as great a novel for mature adults as other children's/YA's books but it's still a grand book all the same. So I would encourage you to read this while trying to think how you would have enjoyed it as a child and if you have children to read it to them. It's not a long book despite the 500 pages because most of those pages are taken up with large print words or pictures spread across two pages.

Afterword
- Having just watched the movie I think it's one example where the movie does perfect justice to the book. The book's main strength is the artwork and the film takes that story and makes it a visual artwork Scorsese style!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Book Concierge Very well-thought-out review. I loved this book ... and I'm old enough to be YOUR grandmother, Jonathan. I think it was the inventiveness of the book itself, that so enthralled me. The illustrations do not just accompany the text, but are an integral part of the story.

Jonathan I try and think out most of the actions I perform in life. It makes for fewer preventable mistakes or misunderstandings. Plus it helps with properly voicing opinions.

It's something different that is for certain and that was probably the appeal for me. The fact that it is both picture book and normal book - and I have loved several quality picture books. And as I said that it is like a modern fairytale.

message 3: by Xdyj (new)

Xdyj I watched the movie in April during a flight & it was amazing.

Jonathan I have to see it myself! That's a final reminder to put a reserve in with my library for it (yes I'll admit I have too little cash to go pay for hiring movies right now and I'm a responsible individual who does things legally).

Ronyell Awesome review!!! I loved this book too!

Jonathan Thanks Ronyell!