Pretty in Fiction's Reviews > Scarlet

Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

Feb 13, 12

bookshelves: reviews-by-jesse
Read in January, 2012

Originally posted on Pretty In Fiction.

I first heard about Scarlet when I stumbled upon it on Goodreads. I have always been a fan of Robin Hood, but never found a retelling that I really connected with. But as soon as I turned the first page of Scarlet I was in love. Robin is a hero that you want to love, and Scarlet is a heroine you can truly admire. She is tough in a time when girls weren't usually thought to be tough. She fits right in with Robin's band of Merry Men. She can hold her own in a fight, sometimes better than the boys can. She is a female character that girls can look to as a role model. She might be a thief, but she always does the right thing.

Romance is a factor in Scarlet, but it's not the key factor. Even though Scarlet is part of a (sort of) love triangle, that's not what she focuses on. Honestly, she doesn't have time, what with trying to save an entire town from an evil Sheriff. She's got bigger things to worry about than boys.

Scarlet's world is so beautifully written you feel as if you really are back in the time of the Crusades. Gaughen's writing really immerses her characters in their world. She includes all of the characters from the legends (with some twists) and fitted it to be a great YA novel. If you like the story of Robin Hood, you will love this masterful retelling.

Honestly, it's one of the best books I've read in a long time, and I've read a few I've really loved recently. If you're a fan of well meaning thieves or assassins, this is the book for you. Gaughen's Scarlet absorbs you so fully in Scarlet's tale that it's almost impossible to put down.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.