Ian Hrabe's Reviews > Submarine

Submarine by Joe Dunthorne

Feb 26, 12

Read from February 13 to 17, 2012

An excellent book about 16 year olds that will undoubtedly be praised for the spectacular voice of the novel's protagonist Oliver Tate. The film adaptation was my favorite film of 2011, so there was that. The novel is much weirder, despite the adaptation being absolutely spot on. Oliver is much less likable, which is a wonderful thing because it really toes that fine line of protagonist likability and often casts Oliver into anti-hero territory. But he's still kind of noble, what with his endeavor to save his parents' marriage. And he also comes off as a normal 16 year old, no matter how brainy he tries to come across. Actions speak louder than words (which there are a LOT of, big words too!).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Submarine.

02/13/2012 page 120
41.38% "Different from the film but probably just as good. Really, really, really enjoyed the film so much that I've been touting it as "My Favorite Film of 2011" even though I think it was officially released in 2010. 2011 in the US I think. I think. But the book is great, full of excellent voice and clever writing all around and plenty of lurid teenage sexual exploration that the film had to gloss over. Good stuff."