Linda's Reviews > The Triumph of Caesar

The Triumph of Caesar by Steven Saylor

Jul 19, 08

Recommended to Linda by: Myself
Recommended for: lovers of mysteries and/or historical fiction
Read in July, 2008

This is the 12th book in Saylor's Roma Sub Rosa series, which is set in Ancient Rome. I'm an historical fiction addict, and this is one series that I particularly enjoy. Not only have I learned a tremendous amount about the times, but Saylor's realistic characters make the ancient world something we can actually relate to today. He mixes imaginary characters with real historical figures, and the result is that names I had to memorize as a kid now are comprehensible as living, breathing human beings. Saylor never gets bogged down in historical trivia, so learning is a pleasure rather than a chore. This is the kind of book we should all have been assigned in World History class! In addition to all these attributes, all his books in the series are true mysteries that just happen to be set a long time ago. The characters are engaging, and their lives continue to evolve from book to book. If this sounds interesting to you, I would strongly recommend beginning with Saylor's first book in the series, Roman Blood, and reading each one in turn.

This particular book was even more interesting to me than Saylor's previous eleven because I actually met him a few weeks ago. He spoke at a mystery book store in San Mateo the day the book hit the shelves. Not only was I able to get a signed copy, but listening to him speak for an hour was just fascinating. This was his first stop on his speaking tour because it was the closest to his home in Berkeley. He's a very likeable, down-to-earth guy. I was reading the first few pages in the book while we were waiting for the program to start, and he asked me if I had read page 27 yet. I hadn't, and he said it had a typo on it, the funniest one yet. Naturally, I quickly turned to page 27, found the typo, and shrieked with laughter. I won't tell you what it is. You'll have to get the book and find it for yourself!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Triumph of Caesar.