MAP's Reviews > A Storm of Swords

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin

Feb 13, 2012

bookshelves: fiction, fantasy
Read from February 13 to 25, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Warning: When I say spoilers, I mean SPOILERS. Pretty much everything that could possibly be spoilery will be mentioned in this review as I ramble. DO NOT READ unless you already know the plot of the book.

Ok:
I'm going to disagree with the consensus and say 3.5 stars, and I actually liked it less than the first 2 books, with Clash of Kings being my favorite. IMHO, there was just not a lot happening between Tyrion and Sansa's wedding and the Red Wedding (geez, there were a lot of weddings in this book) and since those were almost 400 pages apart -- ie an entire book's worth of pages -- that dragged me down a TON.

Other thoughts:

I love Arya's story, but I found so much of it dull this time until she took up with the Hound. She spend most of her time tromping around with Ser Boreic, I'm sorry, Beric, and I just couldn't care less about him and his little band of outlaws.

Man Tyrion took a dark turn at the end of this, didn't he? Though frankly, I'm more upset that he lied to Jaime (that was stupid) than that he killed his father. Also, don't you wish we knew how Shae really felt? I know I know, that's what makes it good literature. Not everyone's motives are known. PS: I loved Prince Oberlyn or whatever his name was being so busy at playing "Hallo, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die" that he totally got his head bashed in. Idiot. I wonder if it was MEANT as a Princess Bride rip off, because it seemed so.

Sansa's not my favorite character, but man she gets the shit piled on her doesn't she? She should have realized what a good thing she had in Tyrion when she had it. Now she's in Petyr's clutches. Ew.

I for one was not only not surprised at the Red Wedding (too many people were mentioning it during the TWO HUNDRED PAGE BUILDUP WHILE THEY TRIED TO FIND AWAY AROUND A FLOODED RIVER OMG SNOOZE) I wasn't terribly upset either. Both Robb and Catelyn were getting on my nerves. I'm almost bummed Catelyn is still around.

It was great to see Jaime's POV.

I really liked Jon in the first book, but I could not have cared less about his story for the last two books. Nights Watch, beyond the wall, wildings, Nights Watch, traitor, defend the wall, I'm asleep. It literally has not been interesting until the last two pages of his POV this book. I'm not sorry we'll be leaving him behind for book 4.

Final note: Petyr Baelish IS Thomas Seymour to Lysa's Catherine Parr (except that Catherine Parr wasn't balls-out crazy). That's so deliciously awful.

I love this series, but I struggle with timing reading the books right. If I wait too long, like I did between books 1 and 2, then I forget almost everything that happened and who everyone is. If I read them practically back to back, like I did 2 and 3, then I don't have time to star to wonder about the characters I was bored with last time, and I remain bored with them/annoyed with them for the second book. Maybe I'll pick up book 4 in the summer, after Season 2 of A Game of Thrones has aired.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Storm of Swords.

02/13 page 43
02/15 page 226
20.0% "Davos: Davos Davos Davos. I'm so sorry sweetie, I know you've had it rough, but your sections in unbelievably boring. Frankly, I find your gloomy ruminations to be almost as useless as Theon's incessant whining in the last book. I know you're a good guy, but I just don't care about what you have to say."
02/16 page 272
24.0% "Seriously, the most crazy awesome insane turn of events occurs, and then we just LEAVE Tyrion for 100+ pages? ahpshelseidhgtr!!"
02/20 page 621
55.0% "Thoughts: Really sick of Arya saying "stupid" all the time but at least something interesting finally happened (yay Sandor!), Really confused about what's happening in Jon's story, and WTF WHY IS TYRION ONLY COMING AROUND ONCE EVERY 200 PAGES" 9 comments
02/23 page 976
87.0% "Hallo. My name Inigo Montoya. You killed my father (sister/children). Prepare to die."
04/14 marked as: read