Meg - A Bookish Affair's Reviews > Anything is Possible

Anything is Possible by Thomas Bähler

Feb 13, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, fiction, non-fiction
Read from February 13 to 20, 2012

Most people are familiar with Aesop's fables. I know that some of his stories were some of the most beloved of my childhood. They were some of the first ways that I learned life lessons that I still carry with me and think about today. There's a good reason that his stories are still so well-known and loved.

I can't say that I ever thought much about Aesop as a person. I never really separated the man from the stories and really I did not know much about his life at all. I've said before that I love how historical fiction can introduce you to people and at least give you a little bit of a flavor for a historical figure that you may be familiar with.

Bahler spins a great story about Aesop growing up as a slave in Greece. It's a station in life that is incredibly hard to rise above but if anyone can, it's Aesop! Through his personal philosophy of "anything is possible," he's able to do a lot of amazing things.

In a lot of ways, this book itself feels like a fable of sorts. By definition, a fable is a short story used to teach a lesson usually with animals or inanimate objects. While this story doesn't involve animal characters, it does have a message with an undeniable force of nature behind it.

Bottom line: This is a great story that introduces who Aesop really was to the rest of the world and will be loved by historical fiction fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anything is Possible.