Beverly's Reviews > Oath of Office

Oath of Office by Michael Palmer

Feb 13, 12

Read in February, 2012

My thoughts:
This is an incredible story! The beginning is stunning, gripping, and terrifying. Once I read the prologue I was hooked. This is a masterfully crafted story of corruption and greed as well as compassion and the driving belief in doing the right thing.
The characters are wonderfully constructed, each with a complex life and belief system that makes them come alive from the pages. Lou is fabulous. His profound sense of right and wrong as well as his willingness to see life from all angles makes him stand out, even among the many well-built characters in this book. I was impressed with his ability to co-parent with such a supportive and positive attitude after what had to be a heart breaking divorce and a long, hard road to recovery. He and Cap are both role models that every 12-step program dreams of.
The complex story line and multifaceted plot keep the reader turning the pages, always looking forward to learning one more tidbit in the mystery. The writing is vivid and imaginative, so much so that you literally "see" the story unfold in your mind in full color. Joey's "pets" are the stuff of true nightmares; the descriptions alone left me cringing and shaky.
Great characters make a story for me, but this book has it all - great characters (both the "good guys" and the "bad guys", an intriguing mystery, conflict on a number of levels, and a little bit of a romance. An all around great read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oath of Office.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Michael I agree with your thoughts Beverly. I also thought Lou's daughter, Emily, was precious. Everyone should have such a wonderful teenage daughter.