Wandering Librarians's Reviews > Significance

Significance by Shelly Crane

Feb 25, 12

bookshelves: adventure, fantasy, family, romance, series, supernatural, ya
Read in February, 2012

I would first off like to say THANK MOSES I ONLY PAID 99 CENTS FOR THIS CRAP-TASTIC BOOK! Crap-tacular. Crap-errific. If only it were free... This was ridiculously sappy and teen-angsty in the worst way. I feel like Shelly Crane read Twilight and ripped out the worst parts of it and magnified them. Follow the jump if you dare:
As soon as stupid Caleb bonds with stupid Maggie, he becomes all overbearing and chauvinistic. She becomes the focus of all the attacks and she's the one that feels pain when they have to spend time apart. Essentially Maggie becomes the weak victim throughout until the very end when she ascends. But even then, her stupid all-powerful power is passive rather than active. She was like Bella except with a better back story. Lame. Of course Maggie being the adorable victim that she is, all the boys want her. Oh how horrible it must be to have three boys want to do you.... How terrible to be the object of everyone's affection. Did I mention it was long? It was freaking long! It just kept going and going and going. Oi. It kept feeling like there would be an ending and then there would be another chapter. And another... and another.... Sweet Moses. It was like a horrendous slow nightmare. I will be honest though, I read the entire thing. It was a struggle, but I did it because I kept thinking it would get better. Or at least end. But it did neither. There were some good things, that got me into the book before it went terrible wrong:

1. Maggie's back story was wonderfully developed, her response to it was quite realistic and engaging. Too bad that ended within the first chapter.
2. There was some nice cultural references that gave the story a sense of place.
3. I can't think of anything else but I wanted three things on the list.

And that's it. Only two things were good. The rest was just BAD! Really really bad. There is a sequel called Accordance. Pass.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Significance.

Jennifer Nunez Let me preface by saying that I understand that not everyone will fall in love with this series like I have. It's just not for everyone and I get it. That being said....this review is distasteful and rude. I might be willing to give this review more consideration if it didn't use words like craptastic and crap-errific. And referring to anyone's work, whether you like it or not, as a pile of pig snot is disrespectful and simply out of line. It says nothing about the author's work, but a lot about you. Ever heard of constructive criticism? How about couth? And if you don't want to read about teenaged angst and sappy romance, why are you reading books from the YA genre? And if you want to read something short, go for novellas or short stories.

Gloria Green Gotta agree with Jennifer. That whole review was just disrespectful. Sorry I wasted my time reading it.