Chris's Reviews > Pump Six and Other Stories

Pump Six and Other Stories by Paolo Bacigalupi

Feb 13, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Read from February 13 to 26, 2012

This book blew me away and catapulted Paulo Bacigalupi into my "authors to pay attention to" category.

The stories in this collection range from good to great. These stories aren't happy stories and often don't have happy endings, but they work. Bacigalupi clearly understands the short story structure. I'm looking forward to checking out "The Windup Girl," which takes place in the same universe as two of the stories in this collection.

If there's any fault to the boko, it's that the settings are slightly similar - He loves writing about dystopian futures. However, if that's your thing, then this is your book. Also, I could see someone getting burned out if you tried to knock these out in a handful of sittings. I read one or two stories at a time over the course of a few weeks and found that very enjoyable. It left me time to digest the stories and I think is the way to best approach this type of collection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pump Six and Other Stories.

02/13/2012
10.0% "Read the first story and already love it."
show 5 hidden updates…