Clif Brittain's Reviews > Mt. McKinley: The Pioneer Climbs

Mt. McKinley by Terris Moore

Feb 13, 2012

liked it
Read in February, 2012

I read this book in anticipation of visiting Denali National Park this summer (NOT climbing the mountain).

I am not a mountaineer or even a serious hiker, but I am quite amused by the fact that it is not the most trained and the most equipped people, but the people with the most experience and good sense are the people who best succeed in these exploits.

Eighteen-year old mushers with four years of experience in Alaska are far more likely to succeed than physicians who attended Columbia.

Ego and humility define failure and success. In this account of six or seven attempts on Denali (I have a lot of trouble with Mt. McKinley -- it has such a colonial feel to it), ego defines the failures and humility defines the successes.

I liked the book a lot. I pretty much read it in one sitting. It covers a lot of ground and explains the routes, the people, the weather and the mountain. The greatest drawback is the paucity of maps and the fact that many of the place names cannot be located on the maps they do have. I read the original 1967 edition, so the reprint may have more or better maps. I would have assigned at least one more star if the book had better maps.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mt. McKinley.

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Can Ian and I fit into your suitcase, please?

Clif Brittain Lisa wrote: "Can Ian and I fit into your suitcase, please?"

BWCA first, Alaska later.