Mel's Reviews > Bloodfever

Feb 13, 2012

bookshelves: fiction, urban-fantasy, 4-stars-books, fae, kindle-edition, series
Recommended for: Everybody!
Read from February 13 to 15, 2012 , read count: 1

The Sinsar Dubh is out there and Mac is the only one that can sense it; a war is quickly approaching and with it the introduction of new players into the ever changing table that holds the world of the Fever series.

At the end of Darkfever we left Mac shivering on the rooftop of Barrons Books and Baubles alongside the man himself. The Sinsar Dubh is now in Dublin and havoc is sure to follow. The world keeps growing and expanding with the introduction of key players and some more disposable ones (won’t tell you which one is which, that’ll be cheating you out of some good twists).

Mac –and by extension Alina– are not the only sidhe-seers anymore. We get to discover a bit more of their world through the eyes of Dani, a young, strong, cocky, reckless, very observant and foul-mouth-to-no-end curly redhead with some serious authority issues that will make you want to hold and cuddle her as well as teach her some manners; in summary just your typical teenager. Dani is a great offset to Mac’s innocent (and sometimes naïve) views of the world that Mac knows almost nothing about and an welcome ball of pure energy to Mac’s obscure future.

We get to discover a bit more about the intriguing owner of my favorite library including some minor secrets of his. Still, Barrons is an incredibly mysterious man that will not betray the least bit of information on himself, always guarding all his sides and always protecting the reluctant Mac.

So after doing pretty much the damsel in distress routine, Mac chooses to expand her sources of information in Sinsar Dubh matters. She is trying to keep all possible options open and trying to grab as much information as she can while giving as little as possible in return.
One thing that started to come clear to me as I was reading this book is that Karen Marie Moning likes to shuffle things up. Whenever I started settling into the story and began feeling like I was one or two steps ahead of the tale; Mrs. Moning threw a good twist that sucker punched me back to “WTF?!” territory. You know what? I hate it as much as I love it every single time. I hated it simply because is frustrating; yet I loved it because it kept the story fresh and unpredictable and that is what makes you want to devour every single page of a book.

The bottom line is that most books that start with a bang don’t necessarily live up to expectations in their sequels, yet Bloodfever manages to raise the bar a bit farther than before. Is a great Urban Fantasy book that will leave you begging for more.

Just a thought: This series was recommended to me by the great people at Black Dagger Brotherhood Yahoo Group, one thing they were very clear was, if you can manage it grab all five books before you start reading them. That is possibly the sanest advice in regards to The Fever Series. Here is my twist on the advice, grab the first book and if you like it enough to by the second, try to grab all remaining four books, they are already out there with the spin-off coming out next October. The books have horrible cliffhangers, I’m so glad I had them at hand, you will two.

This review also appears in Journey with Words.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodfever.

Quotes Mel Liked

Karen Marie Moning
“One day you will kiss a man you can't breathe without, and find that breath is of little consequence.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Was he a good kisser, Ms. Lane?” Barrons asked, watching me carefully.
I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand at the memory. “It was like being owned.”
Some women like that.”
Not me.”
Perhaps it depends on the man doing the owning.”
I doubt it. I couldn’t breathe with him kissing me.”
One day you may kiss a man you can’t breathe without, and find breath is of little consequence.”
Right, and one day my prince might come.”
I doubt he’ll be a prince, Ms. Lane. Men rarely are.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Burns from dropped matches, Ms. Lane? Matches one might have dropped while flirting with a pernicious
Fae, Ms. Lane? Have you any idea the value of this rug?”

I didn’t think his nostrils could flare any wider. His eyes were black flame. “Pernicious? Good grief, is English
your second language? Third?” Only someone who’d learned English from a dictionary would use such a word.

“Fifth,” he snarled. “Answer me.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Every time I think I’m getting smarter I realize that I’ve just done something stupid. Dad says there are three kinds of people in the world: those who don’t know, and don’t know they don’t know; those who don’t know and do know they don’t know; and those who know and know how much they still don’t know.

Heavy stuff, I know. I think I’ve finally graduated from the don’t-knows that don’t know to the don’t-knows
that do.”

Karen Marie Moning
“I see God in a sunrise, not in repetitious ritual.”
tags: mac

Karen Marie Moning
“There are only shades of gray. Black and white are nothing more than lofty ideals in our minds, the standards by which we try to judge things, and map out our place in the world in relevance to them. Good and evil, in their purest form, are as intangible and forever beyond our ability to hold in our hand as any Fae illusion. We can only aim at them, aspire to them, and hope not to get so lost in the shadows that we can no longer aim for the light.”

Karen Marie Moning
“I was about to look away when he reached across the seat, touched my jaw with his long, strong, beautiful fingers, and caressed my face.
Being touched by Jericho Barrons with kindness makes you feel like you must be the most special person in the world. It’s like walking up to the biggest, most savage lion in the jungle, lying down, placing your head it its mouth and, rather than taking your life, it licks you and purrs.”

Karen Marie Moning
“It's a strange new world out there and the rules have changed: It's every princess for herself.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Deals with the devil, Ms. Lane, never go well. That‘s a given. You will not make one again. Do you understand me? If I have to chain you to a fucking wall to protect you from your own stupidity, I will!" He glared at me.

I rattled my chains. "Wrists. Beam. Chained already, Barrons. Come up with a new threat." I glared back.”

Karen Marie Moning
“His hand was on my throat, and he was crushing me back with his body into the cold steel beam behind me. "Yes, I have loved, Ms. Lane, and although it‘s none of your business, I have lost. Many things. And no, I am not like any other player in this game and I will never be like V‘lane, and I get a hard-on a great deal more often than occasionally." He leaned fully against me and I gasped.

"Sometimes it‘s over a spoiled little girl, not a woman at all. And yes, I trashed the bookstore when I couldn‘t find you. You‘ll have to choose a new bedroom, too. And I‘m sorry your pretty little world got all screwed up, but everybody‘s does, and you go on. It‘s how you go on that defines you." His hand relaxed on my throat. "And I am going to tattoo you, Ms. Lane, however and wherever I please.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Don‘t do it. I let you push me pretty far sometimes, but not this time. I will not have you put your"—it took me a moment to find the right words—"sorcerer‘s brand on me, so you can hunt me down whenever and wherever you please. And that, Jericho Barrons, is non-negotiable."

Well done, Ms. Lane. Just when I think you‘re all useless fluff and nails, you show me some teeth."

You win. This time. I won‘t tattoo you. Not today. But in lieu of that, you will do something for me. Refuse and I tattoo you. And, Ms. Lane, if I chain you up one more time tonight, there‘ll be no more talking. I‘ll gag you.”

Karen Marie Moning
“If he’d been any other man and i'd been any other girl, I’d have called the narrowing of his heavy-lidded dark eyes lust. But he was Barrons and I was Mac, and a blossoming of lust was about as likely as orchids blooming in Antarctica”

Karen Marie Moning
“Have you ever had one of those moments when time just freezes? You
know, when the world suddenly goes deathly still, and you could hear a
pin drop, and the squishing sound your heart makes is so loud in your
ears you feel like youre drowning in blood, and you stand there in that
suspended moment and die a thousand deaths, but not really, and the
moment passes and dumps you out on the other side of it, with your
mouth hanging open, and an erased blackboard where your mind used to
be?”

Karen Marie Moning
“For what other reason would you have me save you? Because I like you? Better to be useful than liked.”

“Jericho."
"Mac."
"Thank you for saving my life. Again.”

“What are you Barrons?”
“The one who will never let you die, and that’s more, Ms Lane, than anyone in your life has been able to say to you. More than anyone else can do”

Karen Marie Moning
“I’m asking the questions tonight.” One day I was going to write a book: How to Dictate to a Dictator
and Evade an Evader, subtitled How to Handle Jericho Barrons.”
tags: mac

Karen Marie Moning
“Fire isn’t good or bad. It just burns.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Barrons has something the rest of us don't have. I don't know what it is, but I feel it all the time, especially when we're standing close. Beneath the expensive clothes, unplaceable accent, and cultured veneer, there's something that never crawled all the way out of the swamp. It didn't want to. It likes it there.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Flirtation doesn't have to go somewhere; it certainly doesn't need to end up in bed. I like to think of it as a little friendlier than a handshake, a little less intimate than a kiss. It's a way of saying hi, you look great, have a wonderful day. A tasteful flirtation, played out people who understand the rules, leave everyone feeling good and can perk up the bluest mood.”

Karen Marie Moning
“there are three kinds of people in the world: those who don't know and don't know they don't know; those who don't know and do know they don't know; and those who know and know how much they still don't know.”

Karen Marie Moning
“I'm sorry your pretty little world got all screwed up, but everybody's does, and you go on. It's how you go on that defines you.”

02/13/2012
02/13/2012
45.0% "I have a question to those of you that have read this book already. See, English is my second language and there is a phrase in the book that keeps popping up now and then that I don't quite get. When talking about men, Mac keeps classifying them as "lefties" and "righties"; exmaple: she just told Barrons "you're a leftie". I can guess the connotation, but I would like to know what it really means. Any help here?"
02/15/2012
89.0% "I have a question to those of you that have read this book already. See, English is my second language and there is a phrase in the book that keeps popping up now and then that I don't quite get. When talking about men, Mac keeps classifying them as "lefties" and "righties"; exmaple: she just told Barrons "you're a leftie". I can guess the connotation, but I would like to know what it really means. Any help here?" 4 comments