Rosen Trevithick's Reviews > Fake Kate

Fake Kate by David Wailing

Mar 15, 12

bookshelves: favourties
Read from March 01 to 13, 2012

I woke up this morning, and instantly knew that I had to read the final chapters of "Fake Kate" before doing anything else with the day. I don't usually read in the mornings, but last night, as I willed my eyelids to stay open, they cruelly collapsed just after 3am, robbing me of the chance to find out how this intriguing book would end. Thankfully, I've caught up now! Eating, drinking and personal hygiene can resume.

The first half of the book takes you through a series of dates where, as the blurb suggests, Belinda pretends to be her illustrious sister Kate. She meets some interesting characters, ranging from terrifying to hilarious. I was just thinking, "Well, this is a jolly entertaining romantic comedy," when suddenly it morphed into an outstanding psychological thriller!

Although I was enjoying the dates, the change in direction was welcome and turned a good story into a tremendous one, with twists, turns and red herrings galore.

The characters were well developed and Wailing has a way of making you feel as though you know somebody inside out, almost instantly. As I read, a very vivid and colourful picture played in my mind, thanks to Wailing's rich narrative. Some of the descriptions were so good that I jotted down bits of them.

I really wanted to give this book five stars - it's extremely well written, it's exciting and it's surprising - however, the ending, whilst excellent and unexpected, included a plot device that triggered a personal gripe. I can't explain without including a spoiler, but let's just say, it's the kind of niggle that won't bother ninety percent of readers and despite it, David Wailing has earned a place among my favourite authors.

All in all, a terrific read and a real asset to the world of indie publishing. I have already bought "Bang (Memoirs of a Relationship Assassin)" and I'm looking forward to devouring it as soon as possible.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fake Kate.

Allie This could have been my review. Felt exactly the same way on all counts, including the personal gripe.

Rosen Trevithick That's interesting. I wonder if it was the same gripe.

Angela Oliver I had the exact same problem! Now I have a headache to show for my late-night-reading-under-poor-light. Guess I should have listened to my husband and gone to bed at a more reasonable hour...

Robin You took the words out of my head. I am not sure if I liked the ending!!