Chaton's Reviews > Revealing Eden

Revealing Eden by Victoria Foyt

Feb 13, 2012

Read in February, 2012

This book made me fall in love with the dystopian genre! I loved how it touched on so many themes, while still allowing for that element of escapism that is the main reason I read YA. It’s such a unique, thought-provoking concept—it enlightens the reader your mind to the possibilities of what may happen if we don’t change our ways in the near future. The book is such a page turner, Foyt’s flow is compelling and riveting… I absolutely couldn’t put the book down until I was finished.

Revealing Eden takes you on ride through a post apocalyptic world where “The Great Meltdown” changes the environment for the worse. Caucasians or “Pearls” are hypersensitive to the sun’s powerful rays, to the point where the majority of the Pearl population has succumbed to “The Heat,” and those who are left are considered ugly, unappealing members of the lowliest class on the planet. The world is now ruled by “Coals,” who are less affected by the sun’s rays due to the melanin in their skin and are considered the most attractive race. In an effort to sustain resources and propagate the population, females must mate by their 18th birthday, while men have until they turn 24.

Revealing Eden centers on Eden Newman, a Pearl cursed with a tragically low mate-rate of 15%, whose 18th birthday is imminent. While her father, an elite scientist, strives to complete a secret biological experiment that could enable the population to adapt to survive The Heat, Eden secretly dates a coal in hopes that he will provide salvation from her doomed fate. Yet when she unwittingly compromises her father's experiment, she finds herself caught in the eye of a storm and thrown into an unknown world, the last remaining part of the rainforest. She must fight to save her father, and escape a powerful beast-man she believes is her enemy, despite her overwhelming attraction to him. Eden survival ultimately depends on whether she can open herself up and redefine her ideas of beauty and true love.

I loved Foyt’s descriptive setting of the lush rainforest, and the spiritual messages sprinkled throughout the book. More importantly, this book entertains while leading the reader on a profound exploration of issues including our deteriorating ecosystem, racism and beauty.

It’s the perfect read for anyone who likes adventure, fantasy romance, dystopian novels, post-apocalyptic books and sci-fi. While it’s a YA read, anyone at any age will appreciate the story. Readers will walk away with a new outlook on beauty, and a message of self-acceptance and self-love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revealing Eden.

07/17/2016 marked as: read