Kasey's Reviews > Ghost Story

Ghost Story by Jim Butcher

Feb 13, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: fantasy

What a terrible book. This series had been heading down hill for quite some time. I would have completely given up on the Dresden Files if the last book hadn't been just interesting enough for me to try one last time. Harry dies at the end of the last book, and to be honest if he had stayed dead it would have made up for a lot of the weakness of the previous few books.

This book on the other hand just re-enforced how bad these Butcher books have become. All of the things that were interesting about the Dresden Files are missing (Harry in over his head, Silly yet somewhat rational rules for magic, the big dog, etc.) instead we are left with the weakest parts of the story (terrible character development, Dues Ex Machina interventions, poor writing, laughable villains, etc).

The power of the great noir detective series is that at the end of the book no lessons are learned, no major life changes have happened and our hero is still broke, drunk, and likely to make bad decisions for a lady. Yet the good books in these series keep you coming back for more, because the authors were good enough to work within the genre.

Harry on the other hand kept learning lessons, getting more powerful, taking on bigger enemies and acquiring more powerful friends until no joke, in this book he hangs out with Arch Angels. Butcher painted himself into a corner and isn't writer enough to fix it. Even the main villain in this book is a retread. Skip it. I'm out on the series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost Story.