Maggie V's Reviews > Born Wicked

Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

Feb 15, 12

bookshelves: girl-books, multicultural, lgbtqi, romance, witches-magic, ya, fantasy
Read from February 13 to 14, 2012

Set in an alternative version of the United States where witches are real, and New England is its own country Born Wicked is about the Cahill sisters, three witches that could either see the rise of the witches back to power or a second Terror. Not only does Cate have to deal with this prophecy but she has to worry about her sisters revealing their powers to the wrong people and her intention ceremony which will decide her future.

I’m going to start with how much I love the cover. Yes, the cover drew me into wanting to read the book. But I’m glad I did. Between the alternate history, the witches, the romance (a very small triangle, but not enough to put off people who don’t like them), and all the twists, I did not want to put this book down. Although there wasn’t as much magic as most paranormal novels, I felt this book was more about Cate’s decisions and romance and how far she will go to protect those she loves. And speaking of romance let me just say swoon … definitely swoon. I cannot wait to see what happens next. My minor quibble is that Cate does occasionally state the obvious, but like I said, it was very minor.

Reviewed ARC borrowed from coworker.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born Wicked.