Sophie Friedland's Reviews > The Giver

F 50x66
Mar 02, 2012

bookshelves: 3rd-quarter
Read in November, 2011

(This was the first book we read as a class, and I reviewed it for quarter 3.)

I thought that the book, "The Giver" was really good. I really liked the setting of the book and I really liked the characters. My favorite character is The Giver. I like The Giver because he is like a mystery. He tells Jonas to do things without telling him how or why. I also like Jonas because I can relate to him in some ways.

The book was about a boy named Jonas. Jonas lives in a utopian society. In his world, everyone gets assigned a "job." But they get the job when they are 12 years old. Everyone gets an ordinary job, which is decided by the board and The Giver. The Giver decides that Jonas is perfect for the job of the new Giver. Jonas goes through lots of private training with The Giver. Jonas isn't allowed to talk about his work with The Giver. During a training session, The Giver gives Jonas his memories little by little. First, Jonas receives good memories. Soon he is able to see colors, and then eventually he starts to receive bad memories. He first gets memories of things like sailboats and individuality. Then he gets memories of terrible things like fighting and war. He is changed for life, and when he has all the memories, he is ready to become the Giver.

I can connect to the characters in the book for many reasons. I can connect to Jonas because if I was chosen to be the receiver, I wouldn't know what to do; just like Jonas. I probably would have accepted and taken the opportunity as an honor. I can relate to Jonas's situation because once, I was asked to play an instrument in the school play. I didn't know what to say. But when I said yes, I realized I made the right decision. This is just like Jonas because he wasn't so sure about being the new Giver or being the receiver.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Giver.