Mandy's Reviews > The Pregnancy Project

The Pregnancy Project by Gaby Rodriguez

Feb 13, 12

bookshelves: reviewed
Read on February 13, 2012

This is a story that intrigued me from the first time I heard about it, and of course I saw the commercials advertising the Lifetime movie and I've wanted to hear more about it. The Pregnancy Project is the story of how Gaby Rodriguez faked her own pregnancy as an unwed high school student to explore stereotypes and prejudice.

This book is detailed and easy to read in one sitting if you're interested. The project was engaging and her strength and bravery through it all is commendable.

On the other hand, I felt that the entire first section of the book was unnecessary. While learning about her background set a solid foundation for the project and her motives, I would've been just as moved by it without all the excess information, the inundation of names (she has like seven siblings, who also have children; we also hear about her mother's family) and just the seemingly endless revolving door of people in this girl's life was really overwhelming. I acknowledge that there were attempts not to throw as many names out there, but I still didn't need to know a list of all her friends based on random, short anecdotes.

This book reads like a college essay and that kind of got on my nerves too. I know it's really important to her project and her as a person to make sure that her overreaching themes get out to the public, but it was often very preachy and downright annoying.

In the end, it's a crazy experience and I'm glad I got to read about it from her perspective, even though the addition of the second author makes me question how much of this is actually written in Gaby's voice. The events that transpired were definitely more compelling than the writing, however, so it remains only mediocre.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pregnancy Project.