Nancy's Reviews > The Language of Flowers

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

Feb 13, 12

Read in February, 2012

Read this for my book club (I wish they'd be a little less orthodox in their tastes). I can't say too much without spoilers, but I found most of the characters unlikable and the ending highly implausible. It was a quick read (3 hours for me) and had adequate suspense, and the idea of communicating through flowers was intriguing, but there was nothing believable or memorable about this book to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language of Flowers.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Valerie Looking back on my review I was surprised I gave it 4 stars because I'm certainly not remembering it that way! I didn't like the main character but I think I really empathized with her horrible childhood....still, think I may have to go back and change my rating!

Nancy I really didn't like her either, and I found the other characters completely unbelievable, but after ruminating on it for a few days it made me wonder if she was possibly supposed to have Aspergers or some other disability that made her "unlikeable." The fact that she was supposedly in the system since birth made this book even more unbelievable to me-- healthy infants are highly adoptable. If her parents were in the picture/trying to have a relationship with her, that would slow things, but under the circumstances she'd have been placed with a family long before she turned so bitter, I believe. I also found it completely unbelievable that Elizabeth would blow the court date after all her patience.

Valerie Exactly! That really pushed it over the edge for me.