Scarlett Sims's Reviews > A Full Moon Is Rising

A Full Moon Is Rising by Marilyn Singer

Feb 13, 2012

bookshelves: children-s, for-school, net-galley, multicultural, nook, non-fic, poetry, picture-book
Read in February, 2012

Singer's delightful book of poetry shows people from around the world all living under the same moon. The poems reflect geographic diversity and also the different ways different cultures view the moon. Notes in the back explain a bit of background behind each poem.

Each poem stands well by itself, so for a class or storytime focused on one country or culture, or even one style of poem, it could be used in conjunction with other materials. The book contains some information about the moon, so it could also be incorporated into a science lesson.

The same illustrator did every picture. I think it could have been interesting if there had been multiple illustrators, or even if the illustrations were in different styles to reflect the art of the culture being described.

Overall this is a good addition to a multicultural collection and I can see my kids looking at this book over and over again without being intimidated because most of the pages are quite short and easy to read.

I received my copy of A Full Moon is Rising free from NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Full Moon Is Rising.