Sheila's Reviews > My Life As A Dog

My Life As A Dog by Cynthia Arsuaga

2039269
Feb 13, 12

bookshelves: current_issues, humor, paranormal, relationships, romance, suspense
Read in February, 2012

Imagine a cross between Audrey Niffnegger’s Time Traveller’s Wife, a Jim Butcher novel, and a modern paranormal romance, then you’ll have something like Mike and Cynthia Arsuaga’s My Life as a Dog.

The narrator is a hit-man turned private-eye turned… well, turned into a gorgeous little Yorkie called Precious. Like the traveler in Niffnegger’s more famous novel, he meets a little girl and falls in (puppy) love. Girl loves dog and all’s right with the world, except that, being a shape-shifter, this little dog doesn’t grow old. Eventually, private eye Drake Martin has to leave his comfortable “life as a dog” and re-enter the “real” world,using his transformation skills to help spy out bad guys and cheating husbands. Of course this real world, like Jim Butcher’s, includes some characters rather less common than those we meet every day. And the little girl grows up.

Perhaps it’s fate that Drake meets her again and falls in (grown-up human) love. The relationship contains all the angst and oddity of Timetraveller, plus some scenes involving fairly detailed removal of clothes. Drake’s attempts to hide his dual personality have a delightful humor and intensity. And the danger he and his true love face becomes scarily real-world.

Yes, I guessed who the bad guy was, but that didn’t stop me thoroughly enjoying the mystery. I liked the author’s mild insertion of faith as well, real love, and honest tolerance of difference. There’s something very appealing about the thought that maybe someone, when faced with unavoidable facts, might actually believe them.

Humorous, touching, intriguing and fun, My Life as a Dog is a thoroughly enjoyable story of Russian mobs, human evil, paranormal kindness, and, well, a rather nice intelligent young woman and her Yorkie.

Disclosure: I received a free ecopy of this novel from the authors in exchange for my honest review, and I can only apologize for delaying so long before reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life As A Dog.