Emma's Reviews > Rolling Pennies in the Dark: A Memoir with a Message

Rolling Pennies in the Dark by Douglas MacKinnon

Feb 18, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from February 13 to 18, 2012

To be honest I feel like I was duped. If only I would have taken the time to research the author before I sat down to read his “memoir.” I’m not sure that would have stopped me since the blurb for this book makes the claim that this is so “heartbreaking and inspirational.” Maybe I would have found it more inspirational if he had not spent a large chunk of the book sharing his distaste for what he refers to as “liberal” media. I do not need to be spoon fed your political beliefs Mr. MacKinnon. I really enjoyed the first half of the book up until around the time MacKinnon has the opportunity to meet President Reagan. What I don’t appreciate is how the author took it upon himself to make certain members of the Republican Party look like saints and everyone else who had a different opinion or agenda was corrupted and biased. You’re a fool if you think for even one minute that there are not politicians who are not swayed by large sums of money. You are also a fool if you think that Fox News is a credible source for information. I went into to this interested to see how one man was able to overcome the large obstacles placed before him. I wanted to read his account of his history and how he came to be who he is today. I understand that politics have played a role especially in his career; however, I’m not sure why the soapbox throughout the rest of the book was necessary. Use your Huffington Post platform and call it good.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rolling Pennies in the Dark.

02/13/2012 page 11
show 2 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Andi Newberry ~Tubbs I am guessing you are in your mid 30's or younger and a democrat. I suggest you look at our country's history and who is ruining it. It sure isn't the Republican party nor is it the Democrat party. It is a good portion of both, and those on each who are not fully for their party and do a lot of vote buying. Our entire political system needs to be cleaned from the TOP - DOWN! Our men and women in uniform get paid pennies and they die for this country while those in congress and the White House get paid quite well and they don't even put their lives on the line. There is a huge problem.

Emma Andi wrote: "I am guessing you are in your mid 30's or younger and a democrat. I suggest you look at our country's history and who is ruining it. It sure isn't the Republican party nor is it the Democrat party...."
I completely agree with you! Nowhere in my review is there a statement that says I think the government is doing a fantastic job. Nor do I state that I find one political party superior over the other. (I do find some news sources superior than others.) I was simply stating my dislike for this book based off of the fact that it is being marketed as a memoir when in fact the memoir portion plays a very small role. I simply don't appreciate being deceived!

message 1: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Mackinnon Dear Emma:

My name is Douglas MacKinnon and I am the author of Rolling Pennies in the Dark. Someone was nice enough to send me your review.
First, I want to thank you for taking the time to read the book and for taking the time to review it. That was most kind.
If I may, I would like to correct a few points you made. In the comment to Andi you wrote, "...when in fact the memoir portion plays a very small role. I simply don't appreciate being deceived."
Well, the entire book is only 229 pages. If we just focus on my childhood part of the memoir and leave out the rest, that would be the first 124 pages. The next 72 pages or so deal with me as an adult. while still part of the memoir, some of those pages do recount my time in the Reagan White House and on the Bush 1 campaign. Again, still memoir, but it seems some of those words bothered you a great deal.
The last 30 pages or so of the book are the "Message" section.
That said, I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of the book is in fact a memoir.
In your review, you say I "spent a large chunk of the book sharing his distaste for what he refers to as the "liberal" media."
In actuality, it's only a few sentences and those sentences should be read in context. The fact is, I did grow up in abject poverty. As such, I formed certain opinions that others may not share. I certainly respect the life experience and opinions of others and hope you will respect my right to come to my own conclusions based upon my life experience.
In your review, you call me a fool and say I "make certain members of the Republican party look like saints and everyone else who had a different opinion or agenda was corrupted or biased."
Maybe you just didn't have time to read the entire book before posting your review.
Again, the fact is that I did work for President Reagan in the White House and recount a personal story. I also worked on the Bush campaign. While you may not like Republicans or conservatives (and that is certainly your right) I do think it would be of interest to some readers how a young child who was homeless, ended up writing for a president. Any president. Democrat or Republican.
You may have also missed my chapter on John F. Kennedy, Jr., or my grandfather's association with President Kennedy, or where I mention my deep respect for President Clinton.
You also may have missed the part where I state I am an independent conservative now who has little use for either party and that I am more concerned with fining real solutions to poverty.
No matter. Again, I thank you for taking the time to review my book and wish you the very best.
Doug MacKinnon