Tim Hicks's Reviews > Vortex

Vortex by Robert Charles Wilson

Feb 13, 12

Read in February, 2012

In case you somehow read only this review, please note that this is #3 of 3 and doesn't stand alone. Well, it could, but it shouldn't.

I couldn't decide between 3 and 4 stars, but I went with 4 to reward the long reach Wilson made.

The hard-science framework here is mostly excellent, with a good supply of ideas. Not so much the characters. Allison is an interesting idea, and there are some interesting ideas about Turk's feelings of guilt. I didn't care for Isaac; he's a bit creepy and I couldn't shake the feeling that he was just there to get the characters past some bumps in the plot. It turns out that he's a tad more important than that, but I won't spoil.

The ending sort of made sense, I guess, but I felt a bit let down. Yes, it tied everything together, but failed to satisfy. And I admit that, rare in this genre, when this sucker's over, it's really over.

Not that it's easy to write a huge-scoped trilogy that ends with a "Wow, that was a masterpiece!" Sometimes we have to settle for "Wow, that was quite a ride." Some Alastair Reynolds megabooks are like that, for example.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vortex.