Colleen's Reviews > On Union with God

On Union with God by Albert the Great

Aug 11, 12

bookshelves: christianity, worship
Read from February 13 to 14, 2012

This little gem of a book was truly a great find! I can't believe I am the first person reviewing this book.

I got this book FREE on kindle. It was written by a friar named Albertus Magnus (1193-1206), he is also known as St. Albert the Great.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and think it would be beneficial for any Christian to read. The entire book is about how to rid yourself of troubling thoughts, concerns and outside distractions and learn to focus on acquiring a continual relationship with God inside your soul.

Here are some excerpts:

"When thou shalt pray, enter into thy chamber i.e., into the inmost abode of thy heart-and, having shut the door of thy senses, with a pure heart, a free conscience and an unfeigned faith,pray to thy Father in spirit and in truth, in the secret of thy soul".

"There, in solitude of soul, with loving confidence he makes known his desires to God. With all the intensity of his love he pours forth his heart before Him, in sincerety and truth, until he loses himself in God."

"Cast thyself fearlessly into the arms of God. He will embrace thee, He will heal and save thee."

"When trouble, discouragement, confusion of mind assail thee, do not lose patience or be cast down. Do not betake thee to vocal prayers or other consolations, but endeavour by an act of the will and reason to lift up thy soul and unite it to God, whether thy sensual nature will or no."

It's such a wonderful piece of work, its ashame it's not more well known.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Union with God.

02/13/2012
15.0% "What a lovely little book...I am thoroughly enjoying it."
02/13/2012
32.0% "I found this book free on Kindle. It was written in the 2nd century by a Dominican Monk. It is a surpurb piece of work on learning to clear your mind from distractions in life and focus on union with God."

message 1: by Werner (new)

Werner Colleen, good review! (You might want to correct a typo, though --I know Albertus Magnus lived much later than the 2nd century, so I'm guessing you meant 12th century?)

message 2: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen You're right Warner, thanks, I'll change the date.

message 3: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Thanks. Sounds like my typr of book.

message 4: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen Frank wrote: "Thanks. Sounds like my typr of book."

Frank,

I am sure you will love this book. When you read it let me know what you think.

message 5: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank You have been reading some really great books recently and I'm hoping to catch up and start checking them out.

message 6: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank You said you got this book free from Kindle. I just went on line to download it and they want $1.99. Was that a special that has lapsed or can you give me url where it is free? Thanks Frank

message 7: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen I just checked and its still saying free. Did you type just the title, "On union with God" That's all I typed and it came up. I'll see if I can figure out a URL.

message 9: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Perfect. Only bad part is I ended up downloading about a million books. Keep me busy for a while. Really appreciate it.

message 10: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen Anytime:) Llet me know what you think of the book if you've read it