Kwoomac's Reviews > The Death of Sweet Mister

The Death of Sweet Mister by Daniel Woodrell

2076898
Feb 13, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, capital-d-dysfunctional, coming-of-age, complicated-protagonist, contemporary-lit, dark, creepy, noir, reviewed, southern-gothic, worst-mother-ever
Read from May 21 to 22, 2012

At first, I will admit, I was somewhat relieved to learn that Sweet Mister was a 13-year-old boy, and not a beloved pet,who was going to die. And poor Sweet Mister does die, but only figuratively.The reader watches as Sweet Mister moves from the (relative) innocence of his youth to his emergence as a bit of a monster, a carbon copy of the man who raised him.

Reading Daniel Woodrell is always a visit to a desolate, desperate world full of characters you hope aren't real, but deep down you know they are.I always have to follow one of his books with something hopeful so I can erase the images from my mind.

I'll leave you with a few of his words. This is why I read him.:

An airplane, the passenger kind, passed overhead, a silver dot high in the blue, and made that sad hum from a thing far away and going farther that makes your chest leak air and feel hollow.

The dog and me caught each other's eyes and the hound looked like he reckoned that at some other time him and me could be friends and yell at squirrels together.

I eased into the room and looked for the bodies. I figures there'd be bodies. I never had figured I'd be the one who'd have to find the bodies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Death of Sweet Mister.

07/17/2016 marked as: read