Anne's Reviews > The Good Father

The Good Father by Diane Chamberlain

Feb 13, 2012

bookshelves: kindle
Read in February, 2012

It might be I'm not the best person to be doing a review of Diane Chamberlain's newest book - I've never read a book of hers that I haven't enjoyed, and all my critical faculties are suspended. But standing back a little, this one really was quite excellent, a powerful tale of families, grief and love. If Jodi Picoult has a recognisable formula (and why do the publishers feel the need to keep using the "If you like Jodi..." sticker?), so does Diane Chamberlain with her different narrators. This one's told by three. There's Travis, single father of Bella (one of the most real little girls I've encountered in a while), who reaches the point when he will do just about anything to provide for her. Then there's Erin, a bereaved mother who meets up with the pair at a mall coffee shop and gets tangled in their lives. Then there's Bella's young mother, who has a heartbreaking story of her own. The three voices are totally distinct, and the story twists and turns, goes backwards and forwards in time with the characters' perspectives, all coming together in a nail-biting finale. Forgive me for not revealing any more of the plot - beyond the "blurb" it really would ruin it for people. The pivotal moment of the story comes right at the beginning, then the story restarts, and it's a device I thought worked really well. This isn't real life - thank heaven that not many of us would ever encounter so many secrets and disasters in a lifetime. But my word, can Diane Chamberlain tell a good story that doesn't release you from its grip until the very last page!

My thanks to NetGalley for an advance e-copy to review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Father.

08/03/2016 marked as: read