Mohammed's Reviews > Martin Bircks ungdom

Martin Bircks ungdom by Hjalmar Söderberg

This being my first novel of this hailed classic Swedish author i knew what to expect. He is known for writing intelligently about the issues of his times,his style of writing. The first part of the novel was very slow, not very interesting. After 30 pages it suddenly became a strong,bold novel critical of the society, its old christan based morals. Its a very modern novel, for one that came out in 1901. He had a slow but a strong writng style that he used to say alot in a short novel.

He is also a very urban writer too apparently, he wrote often in the novel about how Stockholm grew over time, how it looked. It took me vividly back to a whole different time.

Something always appealed to me about this author, his reputation seemed like a Swedish Albert Camus theme wise and i got that from him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Martin Bircks ungdom.

02/13/2012 page 22
14.0% "This is a short novel but its one of those very slow,dense novels. One of those rare good slow books. Like you cant rush ancient slow epic poems by Homer."
show 1 hidden update…