Melody McBride's Reviews > Little Women and Me

Little Women and Me by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

Feb 13, 12

Read in February, 2012

** spoiler alert ** This book was just ok. The idea behind the story is excellent - it really reminded me of the movie "Lost in Austen", so I was excited to start on it.

But like some other reviewers said, Emily, the main character, was just plain annoying and rude. I don't care that she came from the 21st century! She is a smart girl who reads and writes a lot - you'd think that she'd be smart enough to adapt better to the new time period, if she loved Little Women so much. And the attitude stayed for just about the entire novel. Yuck. And I mean, that first kiss with Laurie? I know Emily is only 14, but if she's a big reader, she should know that such behavior was completely inappropriate in that time period!

That, and everyone's character development at the beginning was sadly lacking. We needed to know more about Emily, Charlotte, Jackson, Kendra, and everyone else at the beginning before being thrust into the world of Little Women. We don't know anything about anyone, including Emily, when it just rushes headlong into the main idea behind the story. I really wish it hadn't done that.

Anyway, I had high hopes for the novel, and it turned out to be just alright. I liked the plot twist with Amy at the end, and how the novel changed after she left "Marchland". I also liked how she seemed accurate in the way the March sisters would act, think, and react to things. And, of course, I liked how Emily changed at the end. I just wish it had been more of a gradual change, not feeling so abrupt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Women and Me.