Liana's Reviews > The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz

Sep 11, 08

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended to Liana by: The second hottest professor alive
Recommended for: The entire western population
Read in September, 2008

Phenomenal. One of the most incredible books I've ever read. The language is completely forgivable and now, is completely welcome given the voice from whom it's coming from. It's nothing like I've ever read, so rich with history, pain, and passion. And it's funny. It's really really entertaining to catch all the little nods to sci-fi greats of the 70s, 80s and beyond (because I've countlessly alphabetized and re-alphabetized the sci-fi section at the book store where I work and I'm a nerd). Oscar is the ultimate fanboy and my new crush.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

message 1: by Terri (new)

Terri The entire Western civilization? Wow!

Liana Hahaha! Doesn't "the entire Western civilization" sound like more people than the word "everybody"? Seriously, if there's any fiction book you read this year, make it this one. I can't recommend it enough. It's so smart! Yet genuinely down-to-earth.

P.S. If there are any other fiction books you read this year, read the ones I lent you already. Especially The World to Come.

Hope you're having a nice school year so far!